For my last game Project Pumpkin Jumpin 80 level had to be created. That made up a large part of the work. In addition, a level editor had to be created.
Because the work on the game logic was much more fun to me, I decided that my next game will use automatically generated levels.
Although it was quite a bit of work, but now the first version of the self-growing city is ready.
The algorithm is still not perfect: The density of roads is still too high and the street pattern still look too synthetic.
Here are the first animated screenshots:
23. June 2015
games and fun
If it´s saturday night and you are in germany near Karlsruhe, don´t miss to visit the arcade videogames museum of retrogames e.v..
For only a small entrance fee you can play nearly 50 original arcade and pinball machines as long as you want.
My first visit to the museum was really fantastic and lot of fun.
The machines are lovingly restored and most fully functional.
There are all important games of arcade history like Donkey Kong, Pong, Pacman etc.. and newer games like Street Fighter, Star Wars or Tron Legacy.
For more information visit http://www.retrogames.info/
I spent much time during the last weeks in programming the pedestrian pathfinding. After investing much work into the buggy implementation of evasion pathfinding algorithm and many hours of debugging now it seems to work.
Instead of the vehicle implementation (using Dijkstra pathfinding) for the pedestrian I use a jumpoint-pathfinding and a grid map.
To prevent pedestrians from colliding with aother pedestrian, they mark their map pos as blocked (drawn red in the screenshot).
To synchronize between the vehicles and the pedestrians the vehicles project their actual position onto the pedestrian map (drawn black in the the screenshot). So no pedestrian can enter a field, a vehicle is driving across.
Only for exceptional cases (when the blocking of the map has not prevented a collision) there is a front collider attached to each pedestrian.
Pathfinding seems to work fine now. So I can now go on with a little more exciting part of game development including graphic stuff and game mechanics.
No constructive content this time - just a first look at the new toy :-)
More project work and info about this later...
Two modules and the wirering:
Last month I wanted to use my good old Cobra Robot for a new hobby project.
I hadn´t used the robot for some months. When starting the control unit I noticed a smell like burnt electronics.
However, all functions of the robot still seemed to be working. But for safety reasons, it seemed advisable not to use the device.