PaperMe ported from silverlight to HTML5 and bootstrap

PaperMe is a tool to design papercrafts from photos. I created it in 2010 using Silverlight which seemed to become a good alternative to flash.

Unfortunately flash *and* Silverlight “died” because they are not supported on mobile devices.
So it was time for a total makeover.



It took a lot of work porting PaperMe to HTML5 and responsive Design, but now it´s finished.



If you are interested to create a personal papercraft of yourself, your partner or your favorite celebrities –  just give PaperMe a try :-)


Creating self growing level

For my last game Project Pumpkin Jumpin 80 level had to be created. That made up a large part of the work. In addition, a level editor had to be created.

Because
the work on the game logic was much more fun to me, I decided that my next game will use automatically generated levels.

Although it was quite a bit of work, but now the first version of the self-growing city is ready.
The algorithm
is still not perfect: The density of roads is still too high and the street pattern still look too synthetic.

Here are the first animated screenshots:

 

RetroGames e.V. in Karlsruhe

If it´s saturday night and you are in germany near Karlsruhe, don´t miss to visit the arcade videogames museum of retrogames e.v..


For only a small entrance fee you can play nearly 50 original arcade and pinball machines as long as you want.

My first visit to the museum was really fantastic and lot of fun.


The machines are lovingly restored and most fully functional.


There are all important games of arcade history like Donkey Kong, Pong, Pacman etc.. and newer games like Street Fighter, Star Wars or Tron Legacy.


For more information visit http://www.retrogames.info/

Pedestrian pathfinding part 2: Collision detection

I spent much time during the last weeks in programming the pedestrian pathfinding. After investing much work into the buggy implementation of evasion pathfinding algorithm and many hours of debugging now it seems to work.

Instead of the vehicle implementation (using Dijkstra pathfinding) for the pedestrian I use a jumpoint-pathfinding and a grid map. 

To prevent pedestrians from colliding with aother pedestrian, they mark their map pos as blocked (drawn red in the screenshot).



To synchronize between the vehicles and the pedestrians the vehicles project their actual position onto the pedestrian map (drawn black in the the screenshot). So no pedestrian can enter a field, a vehicle is driving across. 

Only for exceptional cases (when the blocking of the map has not prevented a collision) there is a front collider attached to each pedestrian.



Pathfinding seems to work fine now. So I can now go on with a little more exciting part of game development including graphic stuff and game mechanics.